[CentOS] Help rebuilding kernel get mount error on reboot

Tue Jun 14 15:32:20 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 10:05 -0500, Jerry Geis wrote:
> I am attempting to recompile the kernel with the following steps.
>
> Install kernel-sourcecode rpm
>
> cd /usr/src/linux-2.6.9-11.EL
> cp /boot/config-2.6.9-11.EL .config
> make menuconfig
>        Device Drivers -> Character Devices -> Serial Drivers
>         change Max number of non legacy 8250_NR_UARTS to 36
> make bzImage
> make modules_install
> make install
>
> Then after rebooting and selecting my -custom image from the above compile
>
> "mount: error 19 mounting ext3"
> "mount: error 2 mounting none"
>
> Then the machine stops of source.
>
> What happended? How do I get my custom kernel to boot.

Jerry,

The kernel-sourcecode package (it is no-arch) doesn't always apply all
kernel patches for the arch in question.  I actually think it is kind of
worthless and we will probably stop including it.

Try this instead :)

Download the kernel-xxxxx.src.rpm

do:

rpm -Uvh kernel-xxxxx.src.rpm

go to the SPECS directory and do this:

rpmbuild -bp --target i686 kernel-xxx.spec

then go to the BUILD directory and go down to the kernel directory and
build there.

(substitute the versions for xxxxx ... also use the correct --target for
the kernel you are trying to compile)  This will get all the target
related patches applied.