[CentOS] Re: X-Windows on... Windows

Fri Jun 17 22:41:43 UTC 2005
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 16:52, James B. Byrne wrote:
> Thank you all for the advice.  I had cygwin installed many years
> ago but that machine has gone the way of all silicon.  While not
> terribly involved it seems overkill for the present need, which is
> just to run a single x-windowed application on a very occassional
> basis.
>
> I will look into the rest of the proposed solutions this weekend.

Depending on why you want remote access, some of the other choices
might be better anyway.  If you want to grab the running screen
the x11vnc server with any vnc viewer will let you do that.  Or
you run a normal vnc server or use freeNX to start independent but
long-running sessions that allow you to disconnect and reconnect
from other locations as needed.  VNC 'feels' slower even on a fast
LAN connection, but is fairly usable over really slow links because
the running program doesn't have to wait for the remote screen to
draw.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com