[CentOS] SiL311x SataRaid (sata_sil) -- sata_sil != RAID

Sat Jun 18 16:05:51 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org>

On Sat, 2005-06-18 at 16:58 +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:
> Hi,
> On my x86_64 system I have a SiL311x controller that can do RAID. If I
> configure my 2 identical disks in a RAID1 setup, I would expect to see
> only 1 block device on Linux. Still I see 2 block devices.
> Is this intentional, and if so, isn't that dangerous ? (i.e. writing to
> both disks at the same time)
> Anyone with an insight, please explain :)

They are _not_ RAID, they are what I call "Fake/Free RAID" (FRAID).

The BIOS just allows you to designate the disks as RAID-1 (simple
mirroring) or organize the blocks into RAID-0 (stripped).  Once the OS
loads, it not only needs to know that so it doesn't see the disks as
"just a bunch of disks," but so it knows how to write the data as such.
That is done 100% in the OS driver.

Since that logic is typically licensed from the same 2-3 3rd parties,
and those 3rd parties make royalties on those sales, it is _never_ going
to be GPL.

Now there is a "clean-room" GPL RAID logic in "ataraid.c" in the kernel.
And then there are "card interface" sister drivers in "hptraid.c" (HPT),
"pdcraid.c" (Promise) and "silraid.c" (Silicon Image), but they _rarely_
work well.  Little changes and differences in the cards, drivers, etc...
always seem to cause all sorts of issues when I've tried them.

_Real_ hardware RAID cards _never_ talk directly to the ATA channels.
They _always_ have _all_ communication between the system and the ATA
channels go through an "on-board intelligence" like an i960
microcontroller in the Promise SuperTrak, Adaptec 2400/2800A, LSI Logic
MegaRAID 320-4 and 320-6, an XScale superscalar microcontroller in the
LSI Logic MegaRAID 320-8X, or an ASIC in the 3Ware Escalade and NetCell
SR-series.

For more on ATA RAID, see the article "Dissecting ATA RAID Options" in
2004 April "Sys Admin" magazine.  The article is not available on-line,
but if you subscribe to Sys Admin, you get a CD with _all_ back issues
of Sys Admin and Perl Journal:
  http://www.samag.com/articles/2004/0404/

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->