[CentOS] CentOS 4.0 -> 4.1 update failing

Mon Jun 20 11:49:50 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 07:22 -0400, Matt Hyclak wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 12:05:47AM -0500, Aleksandar Milivojevic enlightened us:
> > I've updated CentOS 4.0 to 4.1 on several machines (some desktops, some
> > servers).  However on my laptop, update is failing with following error
> > just after headers are downloaded:
> >
> > --> Running transaction check
> > --> Processing Dependency: glibc-common = 2.3.4-2 for package: glibc
> > --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> > Error: Missing Dependency: glibc-common = 2.3.4-2 is needed by package glibc
> >
> > My CentOS.repo is a standard one, as distributed with CentOS.  I don't
> > have any additional repos defined on my laptop.  I attempted to clear
> > yum cache (rm -rf /var/cache/yum/*).  Rerun yum update, and got the same
> > error again.
> >
> > Looking at the /var/cache/yum/base/headers, I see that yum downloaded
> > headers for gblic-common, glibc-devel, and glibc-headers, but not for
> > glibc.  Seems as if yum did not considered base glibc package to be due
> > for update.  Running rpm -q glibc, shows that currently installed
> > version of glibc is 2.3.4-2 (and all the other currently installed glibc
> > packages are at the same version level).
> >
> > I don't remember doing anything fancy on that laptop that could have
> > triggered this problem.  Basically, it was normal install (desktop+devel
> > packages mostly), and after that it was regulary updated from cron.
> >
> > Of course, as a workaround I could download glibc and related packages
> > and update it by hand, and than rerun yum update to get all other
> > updates from 4.1.  But, I though it would be more fun if anybody could
> > give me hint or two why yum failed to update this particular system.
>
> I had the same problem on a Pentium 166 machine. Is the laptop an i586
> architecture? I am wondering if there is some exactarch weirdness going on
> with yum. I needed to get the machine up and running, so I did as you said
> and installed glibc and glibc-common by hand, then re-ran yum.
>
> Matt

There is a bug with work around solutions ... the glibc released by RH
does not build on / for i586.  Here is the bug:

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=943

There is also a bug filed upstream and we continue to work on this
issue.