[CentOS] CentOS 4.0 -> 4.1 update failing

Tue Jun 21 19:32:01 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org> <thebs413 at earthlink.net>

> All of that is probably true ... but the optimizations are already set
> by default by the config.guess and autoconf and automake for almost all
> RedHat SRPMS ... and CentOS doesn't change those, unless absolutely
> necessary.

Which is what I agree is most preferrable.

> Therefore, for almost all packages on CentOS-3 they are --march=i386
> --mtune=i686 ...

Maybe I need to look a bit deeper then.  I could have swore I've seen
many packages with Makefiles (after any autoconf) that clearly send to
stdout a "gcc ... --march=i486".  Maybe I'm thinking too much of just
the kernel itself.

> and for most CentOS-4 packages they are --march=i386 --
> mtune=pentium4 ... being that the default target is i386.

Yep, I guess the --mtune=pentium4 was introduced with FC2+.
I would recommend Intel backtrack though, because it's not the
most ideal for other i686 architectures (only true P4 or Athlon).
Although the performance hit is not that much.

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org