[CentOS] Script for compiling custom kernel modules

Wed Jun 22 03:36:31 UTC 2005
Greg Bailey <gbailey at lxpro.com>

Juan Carlos wrote:

>I'm sure there are people out there who have to build kernel modules
>for their hardware as well. But it is a bit of a pain to keep doing
>that each time there is a newe kernel security update. So is anyone
>using scripts to automate this process that they would like to share?
>It's not like each computer has different hardware, it is all the same
>but not all of them have tools like gcc and kernel source installed.
>Only one computer where I compile stuff. Easier to maintain this way.
>What do you think?

Although it's not a hardware module, I have to rebuild a kernel module
for MPPE in order to use pptpclient for VPN.  Like your situation, this
module has to be recompiled every time I upgrade the kernel.  The
pptpclient project recommends "DKMS" (Dynamic Kernel Module Support)
which is sponsored by Dell.  It works great on my system; every time the
kernel is upgraded, the module is automatically recompiled and installed
at boot time.  Maybe this might work for you...

http://linux.dell.com/projects.shtml#dkms
http://linux.dell.com/dkms/dkms.html

It has pretty decent commands for tracking which kernel modules exist
for which kernel versions, etc.

-Greg