[CentOS] Re: Opteron Mobo Suggestions

Wed Jun 22 22:53:41 UTC 2005
Chris Mauritz <chrism at imntv.com>

Kirk Bocek wrote:

>> I like the HP DL385 (2-way) and DL585 (4-way) servers.
>

> Cool, I will take a look at HP's offerings. Do you have any
> motherboards alone that you would recommend?

HP just announced a version of the DL385 that supports the dual core
Opterons.  So for a LOT less money, you can now get a "store bought"
dual socket/quad-core rackmount system.

As for my personal motherboard selection, there's the Tyan S2882D which
has two processor sockets and supports dual-core opterons.

Details here:

http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8sdpro.html

I haven't used one of these yet, but I have several on order for use in
machines doing video processing (which benefit mightily from multiple
CPU cores and gobs of memory...the board supports 16gb).  I'll let ya'll
know how it works with two dual core opterons (opteron 270 dual core
parts) as soon as all the fixins arrive and I throw it together.

Cheers,