[CentOS] Re: Opteron Mobo Suggestions

Thu Jun 23 00:12:47 UTC 2005
Peter Arremann <loony at loonybin.org>

On Wednesday 22 June 2005 19:10, Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:
> Technically, all mainboards should support dual-core Opterons.

Should... Hate that word... Via was the only ones that officially stated that
the K8T890 chipset has issues with dual core - but there are rumors out there
that some early NForce4(pro, 2200, whatever variant) chips share the same
issue.

> But the market reality is why give consumers a BIOS update when
> you can charge for a new mainboard?  ;->

Unfortunately you're on the money with that one. I scored some dual core chips
from AMD and all boards I used except the newer Tyan ones don't have bios
updates available...

Peter.