[CentOS] Software RAID muck up

Sun Jun 26 00:04:50 UTC 2005
Lee W <centos-list at unassemble.co.uk>

Les Mikesell wrote:

>Grub doesn't actually boot from a RAID - it just happens to work
>because RAID1 looks the same on the underlying single partitions.
>Boot with the CD and point the grub config to one or the other
>of the hd partitions holding /boot.  If you get an error, that
>one might be corrupt and you can try the other.   If you get
>to the point where the kernel is loaded and you can't mount
>root, then the problem could be with RAID, but that part will
>probably work.

Thanks Les, that has sorted it.

Is it just a limitation of the installer that it doesn't install grub on
all the devices in the array?

I was guessing that it wouldn't be that difficult for the installer to
do this, perhaps when you select /boot as the mount point for the raid
device.

Thanks again

Regards

Lee