[CentOS] Centos 4.0 and Named

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Wed Mar 30 15:20:48 UTC 2005

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I am failing to get Named started.
>
> I copied my named.custom and zone files to a diskette from my 3.3 build.
>
> I installed 4.0 from scratch and did the updates.
>
> I edited /etc/named.conf (which I realize is a link) to include
> named.custom
>
> I cp named.custom into /etc (all of this was done while logged in as root)
>
> When I try to start named from the services GUI (using GNOME) and I get
> this error:
>
> named failed. The error was: Starting named: /etc/named.conf:67: open
> /etc/named.custom: file nto found
> /etc/init.d/named: line 56: [: too many arguements [FAILED]

My guess is you have bind-chroot installed (good thing).  If so, named
is running in chroot jail, and can't access real /etc directory.  What
named will see as /etc is what you see as /var/named/chroot/etc.  So you
need to place your *real* named.custom file inthere.  For convinience
you may (if you want) create symbolic link to it from /etc.

Note that creating symbolic link from /var/named/chroot/etc to files in
/etc will not work.  Named will see link pointing to /etc/named.custom.
  Since it is running in chrooted jail, it will try to access what it
sees as /etc/named.custom (which really is
/var/named/chroot/etc/named.custom).  So basically, it will see symbolic
link pointing to itself.