[CentOS] ext3 writeback mode for root parition

Douglas E. Warner dwarner at ctinetworks.com
Wed May 4 16:18:06 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 04 May 2005 11:43, Douglas E. Warner wrote:
> I'm trying to enable writeback mode for the root partition.  However,
> adding the normal option "rootflags=data=writeback" to my grub.conf kernel
> line doesn't result in writeback mode (according to `dmesg`).
> Does anyone know of a way to enable this?

Okay, I /finally/ found an article on some Red Hat list (oh no - I mentioned
the R-word!) describing the problem:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/psyche-list/2002-December/msg01645.html

In a nutshell, initrd takes care of mounting your root partition, not the
kernel, so you need to make it mount your root partition in writeback mode by
modifying the fstab them building a new one.

-Doug

--
Douglas E. Warner    <dwarner at ctinetworks.com>     Network Engineer
CTI Networks, Inc.   http://www.ctinetworks.com    +1 717 975 9000