[CentOS] New kernel causes kernel panic/unable to mount root

Martyn Drake martyn at drake.org.uk
Fri May 6 17:02:13 UTC 2005

Johnny Hughes wrote on 06 May 2005 17:00:

> One thing to check is if you have kernel-unsupported installed in the
> old kernel version.  If so, make sure to install the new version as
> well.

I decided to re-install the offending kernel RPMs and noticed this:

grubby fatal error: unable to find a suitable template

I'm wondering if it's doing mkinitrd at all.  Out of curiousity, I did a
manual mkinitrd and noticed that the resulting file was, like the previous
new kernel install, much smaller than the 0.2 kernel version.

Still at a loss at the moment, but seeming to be making some kind of
headway..

Thanks to all for their help so far, BTW.

Regards,

	Martyn