[CentOS] Kernel bug in software RAID?

Sun May 8 15:18:57 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-05-08 at 12:12 +0100, Matt Dainty wrote:

> On 8 May 2005, at 04:21, Matt Lawrence wrote:
>
> > After doing lots of research, it seems that there is a known bug in
> > the software RAID for various versions of the 2.6 kernel. It seems to
> > be affecting a system that a friend of mine has put together, so I'm
> > guessing that RH has not back ported a fix into the released kernel.
> > Does anyone here have any idea when a fix will make it into the
> > CentOS4 distribution?
>
> And the details of this known bug are...
>
> ?
>
> The short answer is it will appear in CentOS 4 when it appears in RHEL
> 4.

Unfortunately, Matt is correct.  The only time that CentOS would release
a patch that is a bugfix and not already released by RedHat would be if
the bug rendered the OS unusable to the majority of people.

An example is the Glade-2 bug ... it affected all users and was an easy
fix. Another example is thunderbird, which would not install at all as
compiled.  In both of these cases, the bug was clearly defined and a fix
was already developed and released by RedHat, just not yet rolled into
RHEL ... and the package in question was totally non-functional without
the fix.

We must maintain binary compatibility in the base system ... it is our
number one goal.  That means that bugs are also usually duplicated.

If you can define the specific bug and a fix, I would be happy to
produce a test kernel with the fix included ... or provide you with a
test kernel from what will become CentOS-4.1 (currently in internal
testing).

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes