[CentOS] Removing custom kernels?

Ryan Lane ryanlane at gmail.com
Mon May 9 15:04:41 UTC 2005

On 5/9/05, Preston Crawford <me at prestoncrawford.com> wrote:
> Is this possible. I did my first one yesterday in order to get my iPod
> mini to work with the EL kernel. It worked well. Everything went
> smoothly, but I don't like what I named it. So I'd like to take one more
> shot at it. If I do, is there a way to remove the old one cleanly?
> Modules and everything.

Sure, it's easy.  Just remove the /lib/modules/KERNEL_NAME directory,
and then the kernel that you created under /boot.  Also remove the
initrd in /boot you created (if you created one).  You don't HAVE to
remove all this though -- it won't cause any problems being there
(other than extra crap on your system).  You should also remove the
kernel entry in /boot/grub/grub.conf.

> Also, if do recompile the kernel again, do I need fresh source, or can I
> just do a make clean, rename the setting in the Makefile for the name,
> then go through all the usual steps.

You recompile from the same source.  Before I compile a fresh kernel I
usually do a "make distclean && make mrproper".  That will clean up
the sources.

-Ryan