[CentOS] Yum repomd.xml error

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue May 10 18:46:35 UTC 2005

On Tue, 10 May 2005, Lamar Owen wrote:

> On Tuesday 10 May 2005 10:47, Alex White wrote:
> > I searched google for this error, but apparently I'm either lacking
> > the necessary 1337 skillz, or you know I just am not gettin' a
> > google friendly search put into it. The error is below.
> > [prata at crane ~]# sudo yum update
> > Setting up Update Process
> > Setting up Repos
> > http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el4/en/i386/dag/repodata/repomd.xml:
> > [Errno 4] IOError: HTTP Error 304: Not Modified
> > Trying other mirror.
> > Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: dag
> > failure: repodata/repomd.xml from dag: [Errno 256] No more mirrors
> > to try.
>
> You're not alone, and I'm quite disappointed that it blows Yum completely out
> of the water.  That particular error seems to be causing a problem with the
> apt repo as well; something more basic is at fault here.  Dag?

Well, we've had our share of problems the last couple of days. I just got
confirmation of Heanet (which is the main mirror apt.sw.be is pointing
to).

This is what they answered:

	>  3. Webserver problems (a few days)
	>     Apparently since a few days an additional problem popped up, where
	>     some people get (random?) 304 Not Modified messages. This might be
	>     related to the fact that Heanet recently switched to an unstable
	>     Apache version.
	>
	>       http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://apt.sw.be
	>
	>     Now it seems to be running Apache/2.1.5-dev (Unix)

	Confirmed, I'm testing it out for a few days. Mainly to find bugs such
	as this. HEAnet participates in the Apache development effort, and we
	ocasionally run such tests - to identify bugs and benchmark new features
	(right now I'm testing mod_disk_cache). I'll probably revert tomorrow if
	there's a bug like this effecting people (full HTTP dumps of a relevant
	case will speed this up, so that I can reproduce it.)

It's nice they help out the Apache project this way, but at what
expense ? So I'm wondering what to do next to avoid things like this.