[CentOS] Re: Hardware RAID Controller

Lee W centos-list at unassemble.co.uk
Tue May 10 19:17:55 UTC 2005

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:

>From: Lee W <centos-list at unassemble.co.uk>
>

> Avoid the FastTraks. Most are FRAID (Fake/Free RAID), 100% software with
>
>0% GPL drivers.
>
>The SuperTraks are a "true hardware" microcontroller+DRAM solution with GPL
>drivers.  Unfortunately, they use mega-yesteryear i960 microcontrollers not
>able to keep up with today's drives.

Thanks for the heads up

>Is there any consideration driving RAID-5?
>For a majority of applications, RAID-0+1 tends to be better.

No, just another toy to play with.  I'm currently looking a playing with
Software RAID but would like to have H/W as well.

>I prefer 3Ware Escalade 7506/8506 series cards for RAID-0+1.
>They use a 64-bit ASIC and SRAM (static RAM).
>
>The 9500S series is still maturing, although they should eventually show outstanding performance.
>They add a large amount of DRAM to the existing ASIC+SRAM approach of the earlier Escalades.

I'm certainly liking what I have seen of the 3Ware card's so far.  Their
site lists quite a few distros as supported, including RHEL 3 which from
a simplistic guess would also mean that Centos 3 (and possibly 4) would
also be supported.

Regards

Lee