[CentOS] Software RAID on Centos 4 - new issue

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Wed May 11 14:53:47 UTC 2005

Nigel Kendrick wrote:
> I tried setting up RAID 1 via the BIOS, but two drives were still presented
> to Linux. I tried 'ignoring' one of the drives and setting up Linux to use
> only one, but there were no signs of any hardware RAID sync taking place.
> Maybe this is a cut-down implementation as it's on the motherboard? It would
> be nice to get the MegaRAID interface going as the I/O performance from the
> ITE card is not as good. I had a look around the 'net via Google and
> couldn't find many useful docs on MegaRAID setup, but there do not seem to
> be many options to change in any case.

Just some ideas to "bypass" problematic MegaRAID drivers.  Is there also
"normal" IDE/ATA (or SATA) interface on the board?  Is it possible to
rewire things so that MegaRAID controller is not used (I guess whatever
chipset motherboard uses, it has integrated IDE controller)?  Is it
possible to disable it in motherboard's BIOS?

If not, is plugging in an decent HW RAID card such as 3ware cards (or
plain IDE/ATA or SATA controller, that can be bought dirt cheap) and an
option?