[CentOS] Mini-centOS

kenkensmile at netscape.net kenkensmile at netscape.net
Fri May 13 11:47:12 UTC 2005

Chris Mauritz <chrism at imntv.com> wrote:

>kenkensmile at netscape.net wrote:
>
>>I am using centOS for my server and centOS is extremely stable. I almost love centOS more than my wife. However, centOS is a bit heavy to run on my notebook (P III 1G, 256MB RAM). I need gnome, firefox, openoffice, realplayer, gaim, acrobat and thunderbird on my notebook, but if I install all of them (plus base-system), my notebook becomes very slow. I wish I could have a lighter version of centOS for notebooks and old desktops. Is there any project that I could have a mini-centOS in the future???
>>

>The slowness isn't really CentOS's fault.  That's not really enough
>memory for an X+gnome environment if you're going to be running piggy
>applications like openoffice.  Also, I suspect an older P3 notebook
>probably has rather slow video hardware which may make things seem worse
>than they really are.  The best thing you can do to speed things up is
>to bump your memory up to 512mb.  I suspect that will make a big
>difference in perceived speed.
>
>Cheers,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, you are exactly right. My notebook has a slow video hardware(8MB).
Unfortunately, I cannot upgrade memory up to 512MB,
because 256MB is the maximum capacity.
I have also found an article that MS is making a new OS for old computers,
so I just simply thought I would like to have a mini-centOS.

http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-5705456.html

Cheers,

Joe

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.