[CentOS] Mini-centOS

Doug Koobs dkoobs at dkoobs.com
Fri May 13 14:42:45 UTC 2005

Chris Mauritz said:
> kenkensmile at netscape.net wrote:
>
>>Thanks for the reply.
>>
>>Yes, you are exactly right. My notebook has a slow video hardware(8MB).
>>Unfortunately, I cannot upgrade memory up to 512MB,
>>because 256MB is the maximum capacity.
>>I have also found an article that MS is making a new OS for old computers,
>>so I just simply thought I would like to have a mini-centOS.

If it helps any, I'm running CentOS4 on an old PII 400Mhz, 192MB laptop. Under
Gnome, it's not exactly snappy, but it is usable. Unser XFCE4.2, i'm quite ahppy
with it. I know you stated that you need Gnome, and I also prefer it. But if you
haven't tried some of the lightweight alternatives, give them a shot, you may be
surprised.

Intereating article about the new lightweight Windows OS. However, I don't think it
will meet your needs, as it will be extremely crippled, to the point it won't even
run MS Office if I read correctly.
Doug