[CentOS] named server

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue May 17 17:00:17 UTC 2005

Bind will use the Time To Live as configured by the owner of the domain
name. There are other proxy DNS applications that allow you to override
those values but I do not believe you can do so with bind.

> Also, I thought it would be faster if I set named to use my
> ISP's named server as the first choice. Where do I set this
> up, in root.hints?

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:OFlpPzQRRcUJ:www.rhce2b.com/clublin
ux/RHCE-19.shtml+bind+forwarders&hl=en

19.3 Caching Only Name Servers

   1. Not authoritative for any zone.

   2. Uses DNS root servers or another name server known as a forwarder
to resolve DNS queries.

   3. To create a Forwarding Name Server, put the following line in the
"options" section of the /etc/named.conf file:

forwarders { 192.168.1.20; }; # replace with your upstream nameserver

   4. If you want BIND to only use it's forwarders to resolve hosts and
not the root name servers, put the following line in the "options"
section of the /etc/named.conf file:

forward only;

      The "forwarders" option specifies which DNS or DNS servers queries
should be forwarded to for resolution.

> Anyone who knows more about "named" please feel free to
> comment!

Google knows a lot. =)

--
Marc