[CentOS] Installing CentOS on RAID PATA not SATA - A8V

Chris Mauritz chrism at imntv.com
Wed May 18 22:37:51 UTC 2005

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:

>If you want just ATA/SATA support of single drives, that will work.
>The RAID functionality will never work, because it is 100% software-based
>(the 16-bit BIOS setup is just for boot-time).
>
>I call this "FRAID" and it is not hardware RAID (it adds *0* hardware).
>Any drivers will be proprietary and not open source, because they
>contain RAID code licensed from a 3rd party that is not GPL (and
>never will be, because it is the core IP of that 3rd party and the
>lifeblood of their business).

Be very 'FRAID.  8-)  If it was me, I'd figure out how to get the drives
recognized as plain old ATA drives and then use the software RAID
striping native to Linux rather than depend on the promise card to do
anything other than act as an ATA controller.  I think the likelihood of
roaching the volume while depending on the promise software RAID bandaid
is probably rather high for no performance payoff whatsoever.

Cheers,