[CentOS] Re: Hi, Bryan; was: Re: pronunciation? <snip> -- don't shoot the messenger ...

Fri May 20 13:43:57 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 23:39 -0500, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 19:49 -0600, Collins Richey wrote:
> > I think I recognize this as total crap.
>
> Crap in what regard?  It's factual, I can assure you of that.

IBM has since totally changed their thoughts with regards to GNU/Linux.
They (like RedHat) are still a business that needs to make money ... but
both they (and RedHat) are doing many things to make GNU/Linux much
better.

Would they rather you buy their hardware and software, yes (ie, AIX).
Would they rather you ran Linux on their Hardware, if you were going to
run it (vice on HP), yes.

But the fact remains that IBM is put more money into Linux than anyone
else.

IBM is a founding member and large donor to OSDL
( http://www.osdl.org ) ... which employs Linus Torvalds and Andrew
Morton (among others) to do Linux kernel work exclusively.  They also
employ Andrew Tridgell (samba creator).  Where is Linux without OSDL and
IBM?

> Or crap the fact that people feel the need to bash company names and
> make snide, _non-technical_ comments regularly?

Whatever people want to talk about is fine with me :)