[CentOS] PostgreSQL/SELinux Error - relation "pg_catalog.pg_u ser" does not exist

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue May 24 14:55:40 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 10:23, Micha Silver wrote:

> I'm preparing to switch over to a new (CentOS 4)
> > > machine, and I thought to set up a different SELinux
> > context for each
> > > virtual domain, so that a vulnerability in someones private
> > web site would
> > > be isolated and not be able to crash the other domains.
> > > Is this achievable *without* SELinux??
> >
> > The simple-minded way has always been to run a separate http
> > instance bound to a different port or IP address, running as
> > a different user.  If you only have one IP address and need
> > to appear to be on port 80, you can arrange this with a
> > virtualhost on the main server that uses proxypass or a
> > rewriterule that results in a proxy connection to the server
> > running under the other uid.
> >

> Thanks Les,
> With several virtual domains, setting each up on a separate port with
> rewrite rules, and running several httpd processes under different UIDs
> would quickly become not so "simple-minded"

It is simple-minded in the sense that all of your existing tools
(filesystems, backups, etc.) continue to work in the way you
understand and if something breaks you already understand how
to track it down and fix it.  Processes that run as a user with
specific permissions controlled by standard unix attributes have
been understood for years.  You have to live with some complexity
in config files, of course. Hiding these permissions in new attributes
that need magic support from the filesystem and have different failure
modes doesn't seem simpler to me, though.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com