[CentOS] iptables logging

John Logsdon j.logsdon at quantex-research.com
Wed May 25 11:00:07 UTC 2005

Peter

This isn't exactly what you want but for one I can never understand
sending things to the console where they just scroll off the top.  In the
days of computer rooms, slow teletype messages and loads of operators it
may have made sense but these days things happen so quickly that you
sometimes need to go back and analyse it.

So it is better IMHO to log to a file and tail -f in a shell if you really
need the info all the time. For this, try syslog-ng - you can filter the
stuff you want right from the socket. So you can make an iptables log file
for example and anything else which can be stored of rotated as you wish.
It works on my server nicely.

Best wishes

John

John Logsdon                               "Try to make things as simple
Quantex Research Ltd, Manchester UK         as possible but not simpler"
j.logsdon at quantex-research.com              a.einstein at relativity.org
+44(0)161 445 4951/G:+44(0)7717758675       www.quantex-research.com