[CentOS] Re: Demonizing generic Linux issues as Fedora Core-only issues -- WAS: Hi, Bryan

Wed May 25 15:08:20 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 09:43 -0500, Bryan J. Smith  wrote:

> If you don't like what does or doesn't go into RHEL/CentOS, then you
> need to get involved with Fedora Core and make a case of what should.
> And one way to do that is to donate time.  Because if it's not proven
> in Fedora Core to Red Hat's tastes, it doesn't go into RHEL/CentOS.
>
> So the most effective way you can influence RHEL, and therefore
> CentOS, is to get involved with Fedora Core.  Red Hat is _not_ going
> to "force" something that it can't get to work with Fedora Core into
> RHEL arbitrarily.  So if you don't see something in RHEL/CentOS as
> standard, you need to see why it didn't make it into Fedora Core.

Agreed that getting stuff into FC is the way to get them tested and into
RHEL proper ... then they will be standard in the base CentOS product.

<snip>
> Again, the people who actually _pay_ for RHEL/SLES are _not_ paying for
> features.  ;->

Agreed ... RHEL is not the place for experimentation, only well working
and proven things should go in there.  Which is why I think SELinux is a
little premature in this version RHEL.

<snip>
> If you want the most features, then Fedora Core + { FE+Lorg, DAG,
> etc...} is your baby, maybe CentOS + additives if you don't mind
> waiting a year later.

This is not really true. We will probably never have everything that FC
has as added features ... but CentOS-4 has several added features and we
have been out for only a 3 months (so, not required to wait a year).  We
even have some features (mysql compiled postfix, NX/freeNX, and soon
MySQL-Administrator / MySQL-Query Builder) that are not yet part of FC
or FC Extras at all.