[CentOS] Official CentOS CD/DVD Vendor Program

Chris Mauritz chrism at imntv.com
Thu May 26 19:07:19 UTC 2005

Johnny Hughes wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 13:34 -0400, Chris Mauritz wrote:
>

>>What's the point?  I checked out linux cd mall.  They charge $12.50 for
>>the CD set (or DVD) and CentOS makes ONE DOLLAR.  Unless you envision
>>tens of thousands of people buying CDs, it hardly seems like a
>>worthwhile endeavor unless you're the CD distributor.
>>

>You may not understand the VOLUME of centos right now.  We serve about
>16 TB per month of data from just the internal centos servers.  That is
>just traffic for supplying updates to other public mirrors, Bittorrent
>ISO seeds and up2date/yum run against our mirrors.  That does not in any
>way measure traffic of updates run against the 41 public mirrors.
>
>In the last 2 months there have been 30527 CD SETS or full DVDs
>downloaded from the CentOS BitTorrents totaling 62.96TiB.  That does not
>in any way measure the ISOs downloaded from the 41 public mirrors.
>
>CentOS is very high volume right now ... and it is getting bigger
>everyday.  It takes money and resources to distribute at this level.  We
>need more of both.

Ah, I didn't realise that things had taken off to that degree.  Again,
the point of my original post was that I thought the people who were
doing all the heavy lifting ought to make more than 8-10%.  But given
the numbers above, perhaps that's still going to be a fair amount of
$$$.  I'm just tickled the distro exists and I've given DVDs to a few
people who have later decided to replace production Redhat servers with
CentOS.  I'll just have to encourage more of them to use the DONATE
button on the website.  I guess I just tune those buttons out over
time.  I didn't even notice them until I went hunting for them today.

Cheers and congrats!