[CentOS] Re: centos] Kickstart from FTP or USB

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sat May 28 01:34:58 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 00:19 +0100, Lee W wrote:
> Thanks, an interesting article.  Although not really what I am looking for.
> The official RH docs talk about the installer retrieving the location of
> the config file via the "filename" attribute supplied  in the DHCP
> request.

Yes.  DHCP is the successor to BOOTP that offers a superset of its
functionality.  But in the original BOOTP functionality, you would pass
the filename the BOOTP client would retrieve from a TFTP server so it
could boot.  The file was then booted.

This is how we have been installing workstations/servers in the UNIX
world for 2+ _decades_ -- BOOTP+TFTP (plus, typically, an NFS mount).
The PC only adopted it in more recent years.

E.g., Microsoft Remote Installation Services (RIS) sets up the same
thing (although uses a SMB mount after the BOOTP+TFTP).

> As I have router that gives out all my DHCP leases I am unable
> to use this method.  I was really asking if there is a way to just
> specify where the file is in a similar vain to ks=floppy (my machine is
> an ITX box that doesn't have onboard FDD controller, so this is of no
> use).  It just seems strange to me that a network boot cd is provided by
> you are unable to specify a config file.
> Hope none of that sounds like a moan, as that isn't how it was intended.

The problem with most NFRs (NAT/Forwarding/Routers aka "Not a Freak'n
Router" for slang ;-) is that their DHCP implementions only do a subset
of BOOTP.

Bryan J. Smith                                     b.j.smith at ieee.org
It is mathematically impossible for someone who makes more than you
to be anything but richer than you.  Any tax rate that penalizes them
will also penalize you similarly (to those below you, and then below
them).  Linear algebra, let alone differential calculus or even ele-
mentary concepts of limits, is mutually exclusive with US journalism.
So forget even attempting to explain how tax cuts work.  ;->