[CentOS] Re: Demonizing generic Linux issues as Fedora Core-only issues -- WAS: Hi, Bryan

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sat May 28 18:41:26 UTC 2005

On 5/28/05, Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu> wrote:
> On Saturday 28 May 2005 01:54, Les Mikesell wrote:

> > I think I asked before what things are measurably better in 2.6 and
> > didn't get any answers.   Are there any?
>
> Sure.  LVM.

I'm curious about this. At work we haven't finished our evaluation of
RHEL3/RHEL4 (CentOS is out of the question, since SLA is king here).
Most of our servers and desktops are RH9 legacy, and we use LVM on all
of them. It's my understanding that RHEL4(CentOS4) only offers LVM2,
and it doesn't appear that you can extend and ext3 filesystem using
LVM2 tools. If that is indeed true, why woud LVM be "measurably
better?

--
 Collins
       Head teachers of the world unite: you have nothing to lose but