[CentOS] Re: Demonizing generic Linux issues as Fedora Core-only issues -- WAS: Hi, Bryan

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sat May 28 18:59:08 UTC 2005

On 5/28/05, Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu> wrote:
> On Saturday 28 May 2005 00:37, Collins Richey wrote:
> > I get a chuckle out of this. You may not have actually said that the
> > RedHat enterprise releases are better than other distros, but you have
> > vigorously sought to prove RedHat totally blameless when confronted by
> > the effects of their release choices (inclusions and omissions). When
> > anyone dares to complain, SLA is offered as a panacea for all supposed
> > failings.
>
> Bryan has simply tried to balance against Red Hat bashers who seem to think
> that Red Hat connot do anything right. Red Hat is not blameless; but neither is
> Red Hat a Demon Evil.  Red Hat has done a lot of good for the open source
> community.

It's a little more than that. I find few people who consider RedHat to
be a Demon Evil or that they can't do anything right, but I can
understand the concern about some of their decisions which have made
life difficult for (granted) a few, and it's not really helpful to
demonize those who complain, as Bryan has done. In essence, RedHat is
a business entity, and they make their decisions for business reasons.

> > I find RHEL/CentOS to be a blessing and a curse.
>
> I find computers in general to be a blessing and a curse.

True enough. My biggest problem, philosophically at least with RedHat,
is the now unified release: what's good for server users is what
Desktop users get. I'm still looking for the binary distro that has a
really stable base but offers functionality upgrades as they come
along. Balance but not bleeding edge is the name of the game.

Yes, I know about Gentoo. I've run it almost since inception, and it's
ideal in many respects.

I've enjoyed this discussion and learned a lot about RedHat that I
didn't know. I thank you for your rational comments. Unlike Bryan, I
think you realize that not everyone who disagrees with RedHat on a
given topic is an ignoramus.

--
 Collins
       Head teachers of the world unite: you have nothing to lose but