[CentOS] Newbie Query about Centos: where it is going...

Sat May 28 21:22:19 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 23:35 +0530, Sanjay Arora wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Just joined this list. Am presently a whitebox 4 & FC 3 user. Have
> some questions about this distro...hope someone...maybe the list-owner
> or the power centers in this list will deign to reply ;-)
>
> - Site seems to say...Basic Centos will remain same as RHEL...is that
> absolute code/binary /naming & path compatibility? Is this for ever.
> ConfirmedDDD?

On the Mirrors, there are several directories ... and here is a readme:

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/Readme.txt

> - Somewhere else it says addons will be there....again sure that these
> will be seperate in extras but will keep the RHEL conventions?
> ConfirmedDDD?

The directory addons is for things that are required to be added to get
CentOS to build .... or for things that build when rebuilding the SRPMS,
but that are not in RHEL proper because they we left out.  On RHEL-3,
that would be several items.  In RHEL-4, there were no major items

> - Now about creating a local repository...I create a local repository
> of all software I use and other computers installed in our company can
> use. At this time we are charged by the MB, so can't be public. So
> what repository do I rsync with? East US woulb be best for me...but I
> don't think I should hog on layer 1 repositories...so please do guide.

If you take a look here:
http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=13

There are 6 US mirrors with RSYNC ... any of them should be OK.