[CentOS] Re: CentOS and SL, together? -- GPL, LGPL, kernel and user ...

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org>

thebs413 at earthlink.net
Sun May 29 00:56:43 UTC 2005

> Nope ... I can't build that with GNU gcc and against GNU glibc and
> release it ... sorry, no OpenAFS :(

???  Actually, you _can_.  You just can't link it into the GPL kernel program.
[ I'm not posting this to cross you.  But someone correct me if I'm wrong. ]

There is nothing in the GPL that prevents a GPL compiler from producing non-GPL code.
And LGPL can be statically linked against non-GPL compatible code.

So that means the OpenAFS _server_, which is user-space, can be built with GPL GCC
and dynamically linked against LGPL GLibC.

But the OpenAFS _client_, which is kernel-space, cannot be statically linked into
the GPL kernel program.

[ I believe there is an OpenAFS client that is GPL, missing various IBM code. ]

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org