[CentOS] CentOS4_64 On Dell

Joshua Baker-LePain

jlb17 at duke.edu
Tue May 3 08:53:58 UTC 2005

On Tue, 3 May 2005 at 9:47am, Peter Farrow wrote

> "based on the same x86_64 technology that AMD introduced with their Opterons."

If you didn't top post, you wouldn't have to re-type my quote.

> Not on planet earth I'm afraid....

Err, what are you talking about?  EM64T (as an instruction set) is
literally a clone of AMD64.  Not a perfect one, of course, as there are
differences.  There are also differences in implementation, the most
glaring of which being AMD's very smart move of putting the memory
controller on the CPU and connecting the CPUs via HyperTransport.  This
leads to much better scaling vs. Intel's continued reliance on the
bottleneck that is the shared memory controller hub.

But the bottom line is that if you compile code for an x86_64 target (and
don't put in any Intel or AMD specific optimizations), it'll run on either
chip.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering