[CentOS] CentOS4_64 On Dell

Peter Farrow

peter at farrows.org
Tue May 3 09:19:58 UTC 2005

Rather than drawing the whole of the Centos mailing list into this shoot
out........I would love to chat with you offline.....

The Xeons with EMT64 bit support now come with a 48 bit address but and
support the long instruction set, what they do not have is the full and
complete architecture that the AMD has, in that sense it is not a true
64 bit CPU.  you are right in that it will run the 64bit code, but my
response was that indeed it may run it slower than a 32bit optimized
code.   The original first rev Xeons with this support actually reported
themselves as Opterons, as some elements were plagiarised in such detail.

It comes down to this, would you rather have a 32bit Xeon CPU hotwired
internally to run 64bit code with some extras sprinkled in, or would you
want a true 64 bit CPU designed as such from scratch.  -  You have
already pointed out already the advantages of implementation from AMD,
so I think I know which one you choose.

Personally, and from a performance perspective, I'd want (and indeed
use) the AMD 64 bit native offering....

What do you use?

P.
Ps: if you're interested in my background and what basis I would make
informed comments, rather than "pithy one liners" I'll chat offline with
you,  They were not intended to be offensive, just enough to make you
smile....  I do have to go into a meeting now, sorry I top post, but I
do use Mozilla thunderbird (so I'm not all bad), which I had to
re-configure to top post after world+dog complained about me "bottom
posting".