[CentOS] CentOS 4 - problem with remote X application

Johnny Hughes

Tue May 3 10:28:28 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 11:05 +0200, Petr Klíma wrote:
> Hello
>
> i have a problem on CentOS 4 with starting remote x application on
> remote CentOS 3 od Solaris 9 boxes.
>
> The problem is: When I run it from CentOS 3 it's OK form CentOS 4 I
> cannot find a bad word in logs ...
>

> My local machine
>
> stoping firewall
> [root at klima-pc ~]# service iptables stop
> [root at klima-pc ~]# iptables-save
> [root at klima-pc ~]#
>
> SELinux is OFF
>

> I am connecting by ssh with Xforwarding enabled to
> - Centos 3 box
>
> [09:32 root at tux:root]# gvim --sync
> The program 'gvim' received an X Window System error.
> This probably reflects a bug in the program.
> The error was 'BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter)'.
>    (Details: serial 287 error_code 5 request_code 20 minor_code 0)
>    (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
>     that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
>     To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
>     option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
>     backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error()
> function.)
> [09:33 root at tux:root]#
>

> -Solaris 9 box
> root at sun bin# gvim --sync
> Gdk-ERROR **: BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter)
>    serial 364 error_code 5 request_code 20 minor_code 0
> Gdk-ERROR **: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)
>    serial 365 error_code 10 request_code 102 minor_code 0
> root at sun bin#

It is a feature ... really, it is (according to RH) :).  Here is a quote
from the RH mailing list:

I think by default X11Forwading is now disabled in SSH. You can either
use 'ssh -X' or change it in your /etc/ssh/ssh_config. I have the
following in mine:

 ForwardX11 yes
 ForwardX11Trusted yes

That should make it work the way you expect.