[CentOS] Compiling Kernel Modules

Matt Dainty

matt at bodgit-n-scarper.com
Tue May 3 12:17:44 UTC 2005

* Maciej Zenczykowski <maze at cela.pl> [2005-05-03 12:07:48]:

> Now I know external modules can be compiled without recompiling the
> kernel - question is how to do it for an internal kernel module.

You might be able to build the ReiserFS code as if it was an external
module, this is the trick I used with the Areca SATA RAID driver,
although you need to make sure the code doesn't require access to
internal kernel headers.

You need to have the kernel-(smp-)devel packages installed, not the
kernel-source package. Basically, if you have the reiserfs source files
in a directory, do:

$ make CONFIG_REISERFS_FS=m -C /usr/src/kernels/<kernel version> \
M=/path/to/reiserfs/sources modules
$ make CONFIG_REI..... modules_install

As I said, this worked with the Areca drivers, not sure if it will work
for the ReiserFS drivers, but it's probably worth a try.

HTH

Matt
--
"I've seen his style before, terminal psychotic!"