[CentOS] CentOS4_64 On Dell

Peter Arremann

loony at loonybin.org
Wed May 4 11:20:30 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 03 May 2005 23:15, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 5/3/05, Peter Farrow <peter at farrows.org> wrote:
> > Contrary to popular belief,
> > I do actually know what I am talking about, so thanks very much for
> > that.....
>
> Do you happen to know how the 64-bit AMD and Xeon  would compare
> when running java code?

One of the groups at work tested an app (serverside java) and they ended up
with the following results:

Xeon 32bit - 100%
Opteron 32bit - 86%
Xeon 64bit - 97%
Opteron 64bit - 92%

It was a pretty unbalanced test since we ran a 3.6Ghz Xeon against a much
lower speed Opteron (244 I think but I can't verify that until I get to work
today) hence the Opteron was quite a bit slower.
Anyway, the interesting part was that with the 32 -> 64 bit JDK change boosted
performance about 6% on the Opteron while the Xeon actually lost 3%...

Peter.