[CentOS] OT: P4 Vs Xeon for Linux

security

security at air-austral.com
Fri May 6 09:18:38 UTC 2005

Nigel Kendrick wrote:

>I have just had delivered a new HP Proliant server and it is based on an
>Intel Xeon 2.8GHz processor. On site already we have an Acer Altos G310 with
>a P4 2.8GHz processor.
>
>The new HP server was destined for another site with about 30 persons to
>service some simple file and print sharing and to manage their email
>(postfix + MailScanner). The Acer is hosting our Intranet, file and print
>sharing and soon to have our email + bacula backup services for potentially
>250 users.
>
>Performance wise, would it be worth the small effort to move the Intranet
>etc. onto the Xeon-based server and ship the P4 to the other site or will
>the potential performance gains not be significant?
>
>Any insight appreciated.
>
>Thanks

I use Proliant G3 and G4 under gralinux AS (a RH "clone", like Centos)
and the only "Big" problem is the poor write performance.
You need to buy (if it's not already the case) a battery from HP
(Battery Backed Write Cache (BBWC)) if you want correct performances.
Else .. the proliant series is "not so bad" ...  and run perfectly
RH-Clones (Gralinux AS 3 in my case)

For a mail server build on Proliant, be sure to have this battery.

jean-seb