[CentOS] bind and caching-nameserver

Mark Quitoriano

markquitoriano at gmail.com
Tue May 10 07:01:56 UTC 2005

well that's my problem with bind. once i cut myself to the internet i
can't resolve all domain. i did this as a test i ping google.com first
while i am connected to the net and then i disconnect my cable and try
to ping it again but it can't resolve google.com anymore, my
resolve.conf is "nameserver 127.0.0.1", and i don't know how to
configure bind to cache domain's ip addressess at least 1 day or so.

On 5/10/05, Patrick Lawrence - CentOS Lists
<xxagGxOGLGlkHPZkvyxc at patsoffice.com> wrote:
> > i was thinking if is it possible to cache some urls in bind?
>
> As somebody else said, BIND doesn't cache URLs, but I suspect you are
> asking if it will cache zones.  Yes, it will.
>
> > I just
> > want to do when you send the command "ping domain.com" even if you are
> > disconnected to the internet it will still resolve the ip of
> > domain.com
>
> Sure.  It will keep it as long as the SOA in the zone tells it to live.
> For most zones, this is one day.
>
> So, if you run a local caching nameserver and put 127.0.0.1 in
> your /etc/resolv.conf file it should be cached even if you are off-line.
>
> Regards,
>
> Pat
> --
>                         "Let's Roll" - Todd Beamer