[CentOS] CentOS Live?

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org>

thebs413 at earthlink.net
Wed May 11 21:35:46 UTC 2005

> I was looking at that :)
> Question is ... does it really serve a purpose?
> The purpose of the distro is to install on servers and workstations.  A
> live CD doesn't do that.  Knoppix is very good in this market, so I
> think the usefulness is limited.

Especially since there are already "Fedora Live" CDs anyway.

One of the reasons for RHEL is for a fixed, integrated tested package
set based on but beyond that of Fedora Core.  If I want to start playing
around with a "customized" Fedora-based distro, then I'm just going to
go with Fedora itself, instead of RHEL (or CentOS).

> BUT ... one good thing it would do is allow you an easy way to see if
> your hardware works without downloading the whole shebang ... which is a
> positive.

"Fedora Live CDs" should do the same.  Just line up the kernel version.

> We may look at doing this after CentOS-4.1 is done and I have some of
> the automated scripts working the way I want.

The more CentOS would get away from RHEL, the more I'd just do my own
configuration management from Fedora Core instead.  I mean, I've built
equivalent APT-RPM repositories of Fedora Core by lining up the packages.

The reason why I like to use CentOS is so I don't have to do my own
configuration management of Fedora Core to get the same thing of RHEL.
It saves me a lot of effort.

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org