[CentOS] Timezone Configuration

kracker

thekracker at gmail.com
Thu May 19 23:48:33 UTC 2005

@Centos Project Documentation Team

This might be an area to cover more aggressively in the documentation
as I could not find any documentation on this issue and it's most
recent (c4) discrepancies (from c3).

@Centos 'system-config-date' maintainers

Selecting a time zones (ie: Alaskan, Pacific, Western, Central,
Eastern, etc) by selecting a city which is in that time zone (as
system-config-date currently implemented) can be a very overly
frustrating exercise. Especially when one might not know which city
provided in the list is in the user's desired timezone.

If I could offer up any positive criticism from this thread back to
the people who have brought me this far it would be this.... Alter the
'system-config-date' to provide Global / Generic time zones at the top
of the list it provides.

This alone would make the process of setting a timezone drastically
simpler for the common user / administrator to understand and
implement quickly, without having to search for a city provided in the
'system-config-date' 's time zone list which is in the same desired
time zone.

This is overly complicated for such a simple configuration option, not
really clear just as to why this is so in centos. I've seen other
GNU/Linux Distributions which provided global / generic timezone
options.

respectfully,
//kracker

Sole : Live From Rome : On Martyrdom