[CentOS] How NOT to have a disk recognized by grub?

Johnny Hughes

Fri May 20 17:09:25 UTC 2005

On Fri, May 20, 2005 12:01 pm, Michael said:
> Greetings:
>
> I'm upgrading a fileserver running 3.4 (upgrade to a larger disk).  I
> backed up the data from the "old" disk and slapped in a newer, larger
> disk and installed Centos-3.4.  No problems.
>
> Now, there are some files on the "old" disk that I forgot to move to the
> back-up disk, so I'd like to mount the "old" disk as /dev/hdd and reboot
> the system and transfer the files [hdd (old disk) --> hda (new disk)].
>
> However, the old disk still has Grub on the MBR and when I boot, the
> system tries to mount the "/boot" and "/" partitions from BOTH disks!  I
> get errors about duplicate partitions and that those dups won't get
> mounted.The fileserver does boot but with a configuration combination of
> both systems.
>
> Question: Grub is correctly installed and configured on hda.  How do I
> get the boot process to ignore the old disk (and MBR) on hdd???
>
> I tried google but I can't seem to find this fix.

Is it possible that the old disk and the new one have the same label name?

That is the only reason I could think of why it would try to mount or
confuse the disks.

If that is the problem, you can boot via CD-1 and use "linux rescue" then
relabel the hdd disk to something else using the command:

e2label /dev/hdd#
e2label /dev/hda#

If they are the same ... relabel hdd with the command:

e2label /dev/hdd# new_name

(the # is the specific partition number)
--
Johnny Hughes
<http://www.HughesJR.com/>