[CentOS] Re: mplayer repository for CentOS

Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith@ieee.org>

thebs413 at earthlink.net
Fri May 20 18:47:56 UTC 2005

> I don't know if I would call it FUD ... BUT, if repos are going to work
> together, they have to use consistent names for packages, so that
> versioning will work properly.

Agreed.  Red Hat really wants to see this with the greater Fedora Project,
but I there is a long way to go and a lot of concessions still to be made.
I don't blame anyone for the lack of consolidation.

> Just for the record, using the Fedora Core library on CentOS-4 can be
> problematic (and even DAGs repo, for that matter) ... in that both can
> overwrite base CentOS libraries.

I find as long as I align the versions correctly, and _only_ tap Fedora
Extras and Livna.ORG (and _not_ Fedora Core), I haven't had an issue.

> I would highly recommend that you use a includepkg= in your yum
> configuration for any external repo (even things like centosplus).

I am aware of such details.  In many cases, I'm maintaining my own,
internal repositories anyway for multiple systems.

> Karanbir Singh is working on a rebuild of FC Extras that uses
> functionality already in CentOS-4 and doesn't upgrade any packages
> (unless required) that are part of the base centos.  Since FC is not
> CentOS, and there are differences in some libraries, I would
> recommend Karanbir's repo over FC Extras (for CentOS-4).  I don't
> have the address of this site handy right now...I'm sure someone does.

One thing I'm tiring of is the inconsistency between FC/RHL and RHEL.
It's one thing that is looking better about SL and NLx every day.
I'm waiting to see what Novell does with SL 10.x and NLx 10.

> Just be careful when using any external repo, as it can replace things you
> don't want.

Exactly.

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org