[CentOS] Re: mplayer repository for CentOS

Dag Wieers

dag at wieers.com
Sat May 21 18:26:16 UTC 2005

On Sat, 21 May 2005, Bryan J. Smith wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 07:58 +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:
>
> > Bryan, that's more a apt/yum issue than it is a repository issue. If you
> > think repository maintainers should divide their repository in all
> > possible permutations of what people might want (and what
> > cross-requirements exist between these repositories), you have not
> > maintained a big repository. Believe me, this functionality should go into
> > Yum (apt has hte functionality, but apt is dead anyway).
>
> Have you talked to Seth about this?  I know he is always looking for
> input/help in many YUM developments, at least based on his posts/blog.

There were 2 patches for Yum at some point, but according to Seth the
functionality is not important or useful.It may change with the new
plugin system though, let's hope. Talk to David Parsley and Dries if you
know what happened.

In the meantime, I'll be having people complaining about the fact the
rsync or lftp is upgraded, and people complaining that RHEL4 does not have
gaim 1.3.0 or something else they require and ship for older
distributions. We can't have it both ways, smart is the solution for this.