[CentOS] Re: Hi, Bryan; was: Re: pronunciation? <snip> -- don't shoot the messenger ...

Collins Richey

crichey at gmail.com
Sun May 22 01:34:31 UTC 2005

On 21 May 2005 19:47:08 -0500, Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:

> But what I can't stand is people like yourself holding different companies to different standards.

Where have I done that? I don't know that I have held any company to a standard.

> Trust nothing but actual community donations - because everything else can change tomorrow.
>
> > You've provided plenty of one-liners in this discussion.
>
> I don't take the time to explain things for my health.
> In fact, most people complain about my verbosity.
> And this "summary" you  provided is wholly inaccurate and not even relevant.

> SCO v. IBM resulted because of two companies - or bigger than the other.
> Sun has been repeatedly scrutinized for things that IBM does and few (outside of Linus and other developers) seem to question.

The things I;ve heard Sun scrutinized for are their frequent (to their
own detriment) changes of direction and their clinging to proprietary
hardware in this age of interchangable parts.

> > All of this has little to do with CentOS, and fortunately
> > CentOS isn't into the religion/blame game.
>

> So let us make it about GPL and GPL compatible software,
> and not consider the private lawsuits, or the non-GPL compatible (let  alone proprietary) R&D.
> Let's just keep focused on the community, and not make the community a place where people trash companies off-the-cuff.

We agree on one thing. I'm not interested in trashing companies
whether off-the-cuff or carefully crafted in lengthy tirades. You,
OTOH, have seen fit to trash most of the companies you have discussed.
I have no dog in this fight. I have no one superior company or distro
in mind. CentOS and the RedHat base fits pretty well, but I haven't
chosen to use CentOS because of any religious fervor about the GPL. I
use it because it's free and it's simple and it works. If the same
ease of use and community support were to be provided for a
Novell-based distro AND it were as easy to use AND I could find other
compatible repositories, I might consider it.

All of this started with a simple question about CentOS and on another
thread about the best repositories to use for CentOS. We've come
rather far afield.

I will yield to your fantastically superior intellect and retire now.

--
 Collins
       Head teachers of the world unite: you have nothing to lose but