[CentOS] CentOS4, KDE3.3 and 128 WEP

John Logsdon

j.logsdon at quantex-research.com
Mon May 23 08:25:18 UTC 2005

Folks

My concern is not so much just how good or bad WEP is - and I agree that
it is much better to use ssh or a vpn tunnel.  Until 802.11i is fully
implemented, standard wireless is always going to be very easy to hack by
a sniffing geekster.

The problem is that there are quite a lot other machines on the network
that have been configured with WEP128.  I don't use DHCP and I have MAC
filtering enabled so that is some protection.  Unconfiguring all those
machines will be a pain and as some of them are WinDroze XPoor, almost
certainly to fall over.

OK - maybe the solution is to upgrade to KDE3.4.  There are comments about
128 WEP in the 3.4 kdenetwork package.  And is KDE3.4 already stable
enough to be included?  What do people recommend?  Has anyone upgraded to
3.4?

Another issue is where is the gpg public key repository for CentOS4?

So my problem remains.  At the moment I am using a regular wired
connection but that means that the garden is out of bounds and it is nice
and sunny today here in Manchester ... :-)

Best wishes

John

John Logsdon                               "Try to make things as simple
Quantex Research Ltd, Manchester UK         as possible but not simpler"
j.logsdon at quantex-research.com              a.einstein at relativity.org
+44(0)161 445 4951/G:+44(0)7717758675       www.quantex-research.com