[CentOS] Re: Hi, Bryan; was: Re: pronunciation? <snip> --

Feizhou

feizhou at graffiti.net
Mon May 23 14:53:07 UTC 2005

> The SCO that exists currently ... the one that is suing IBM right now,
> in the lawsuit as it currently exists, is an enemy to all Linux, IBM and
> Red Hat customers.  That is absolutely clear.  I would call them a bad
> company.  Were they always that, no.  Did IBM screw some people in the
> past, yes.  Will they again in the future, probably.  Same is true for
> Sun, Red Hat, Novell, SuSE, Mandr(ake/riva), etc.

I still remember the FIRST Linux GUI installer for a Linux distro. It
came on the Caldera Openlinux 2.2. It worked. It was really nice.

The Novell guys that were behind Caldera deserve plenty of respect for
what they have done.

I think, today's SCO bashing should really go to the current owner of
SCO and to IBM. IBM for what they did and the guy who put McBride in
place to do the stock game.

> Red Hat made a business decision that left many people out in the cold
> (the RHL / RHEL line decision) ... CentOS fills that gap.  Some CentOS
> users are very upset with Red Hat because of that decision.  That does
> not make them shallow, they have the right to their opinion. It also
> does not change the fact that Red Hat is also the best when it comes to
> distributing their source code (of all the major enterprise providers).

I really don't understand why some people get so uptight about it. I
look after over 30 machines and I have had no problems moving on to
Fedora Core 1 and Fedora Core 2. In fact, I like their Fedora project
more than their RHL line.

> I personally don't have a problem with the Red Hat business decision ...
> but I understand why some people do.
>
> Fedora Core just doesn't do it for me ... if it works for you, great.
> There is nothing wrong with FC, it just doesn't have the lifetime
> support I am looking for.

That lifetime support you are looking at is far less than 2 years I can
assure you.

> CentOS, on the other hand, has exactly the options I am looking for.  A
> vibrant community that actively answers questions via IRC, forums and
> active mailing lists.  It is available for free (though donations SHOULD
> be made ... especially if you are using CentOS to make money), has rapid
> security updates, and it has a long lifetime.  So, this is while you
> will find me for quite some time.

CentOS offers the free and the long lifetime. I personally don't care
too much since the advantages on newer Fedora Cores outweigh a
'supported' but static distro. However, others may not see it that way
and so it is good that CentOS is here. At the same time, I find it
offensive when people starting saying 'Dead Rat' just because the RHL
line was pulled and they forget all the work that Redhat puts into the
Linux kernel, gcc, glibc and a host of others that are at the core of
any Linux distribution.