[CentOS] Custom kernel needed for ndiswrapper? (for Linksys WPC54G wireless pcmcia)

Lee Parmeter

leejpar at yahoo.com
Tue May 24 22:54:17 UTC 2005

Michael:

I can recommend the Netgear WG511. This one has a prism
chipset; ndiswrapper is NOT required! Outpost.com sells the
WG511 so you can probably find it at Fry's as well for
around $45.

Note: I do not recommend the WG511T which is a different
chipset!.

--- Michael <addymin at pacbell.net> wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I'm just installed Centos-4 on an IBM T-21 laptop.  So
> far so good.  Now
> I'd like to pop in a wireless lan adapter.  I'm looking
> at a buying a
> Linksys WPC54G adapter (although I haven't done so yet).
>
> After doing some searching, it looks like the best way to
> get this card
> working is via ndiswrapper
> [http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net] and then
> to use Windoze drivers.
>
> So I downloaded ndiswrapper and during the install, I
> received a warning
> message referring to "4K Stacks" and that NOT disabling
> 4k stacks can
> cause some drivers to crash. The docs went on to suggest
> I recompile the
> kernel to disable CONFIG_4KSTACKS.
>
> Question: For really like to stick to the stock CentOS-4
> kernel and not
> create/use a custom one. Has anyone had a problem using
> the Linksys
> WPC54G Cardbus adapter + Centos-4 and NOT had to use a
> custom kernel?
>
> For that matter, since I haven't purchased the card yet,
> can I get a
> recommendation or two about a workable wlan cardbus (g)
> adapter that
> could most likely be found at Best Buy/CompUSA/Fry's ?
> I'd like to be
> able to easily return the card if things don't work...
>
> I did some searching a decent card and it seems that a
> number of good
> wlan chipsets are discontinued or hard to find, so I'm
> slightly confused
> as to what to get.
>
> Thank you.
> Michael Chinn

Lee Parmeter Emperor, linXos - The Flying Penguin
http://www.linXos.com
Linux Registered User #337161

'It's free. It works. Duh.'" - Eric Harrison

The United States is NOT a democracy, it was founded as a Republic!

God is not a republican or a democrat nor is His government a democracy! - Lee Parmeter