[CentOS] iptables logging

Peter Farrow

peter at farrows.org
Wed May 25 11:07:23 UTC 2005

Hi john,

I want to stop it logging to *all* the consoles, and limit it to just
one of the virtual consoles if poss, it does log to var/log/messages as
well where I run a perl script to check for "naughtiness" so I am
covered in that respect, its just a pain with it logging to the console
when you want to use the console....

I actually found iptables still logs to the console whatever settings
you have in syslogd.conf and /etc/sysconfig/syslog.

I also found iptables still logs to the console even if you kill klogd
and syslogd altogether (how bizarre)...

So in the end I modified /etc/sysctl.conf and added this line:

kernel.printk = 3 4 1 7

then did a sysctl -p

and that seems to have done it.... while still logging fully to
/var/log/messages

P.