[CentOS] Can't unmount floppy

Robert Moskowitz

rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed May 25 13:03:18 UTC 2005

At 08:41 AM 5/25/2005, fluid wrote:

>if that is where your device is mounted, then its not currently mounted. ;)
>
>beyond that, you need to open a terminal, stick in a floppy, and do:
>
>mount /media/floppy
>
>when you are done, make sure every program that was opened and in that
>path are now closed, and issue:
>
>umount /media/floppy
>
>if its busy when you try and umount, then use fuser to figure out whats
>got it, and use 'kill' to shut down those processes. those filemanagers
>will leave paths open for no real reason (except stat'ing it, or
>watching for new file objects)

Wow was this ever disasterous!

mount /media/floppy said it was already mounted

unmount /media/floppy said it was busy.

then I tried  fuser -m /media/foppy

and it returned 2565

so I:  kill 2565

and the system goes haywire!  terminal takes off like the enter key is
stuck down.

I close terminal then the desktop goes blewy and starts opening all sorts
of windows.  I manage to get to shutdown, but nothing happens.  Finally I
just powered down.....

There has GOT to be a better way!

Illegitimi non Carborundum