[CentOS] Re: Demonizing generic Linux issues as Fedora Core-only issues -- WAS: Hi, Bryan

Collins Richey

crichey at gmail.com
Sat May 28 04:37:13 UTC 2005

On 5/27/05, Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-05-27 at 20:13 -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:
> > What is 'correct' behavior?  Doesn't correctness depend upon the customer?  Is
> > it possible that CentOS (and RHEL by extension) is Not For Everybody, but
> > targeted to a particular set of customers?
>
> Apparently when I say this, that RHEL/SLES has a different focus than
> just about any other distro out there, other people seem to hear it as
> I'm saying it's "better" (which I'm not).
>
> I'm glad you actually heard what I actually said.

I get a chuckle out of this. You may not have actually said that the
RedHat enterprise releases are better than other distros, but you have
vigorously sought to prove RedHat totally blameless when confronted by
the effects of their release choices (inclusions and omissions). When
anyone dares to complain, SLA is offered as a panacea for all supposed
failings.

I find RHEL/CentOS to be a blessing and a curse. It's certainly
reliable (my desktop system has encountered no significant problems)
and the CentOS list is a real gem, but what's going to happen when the
next round of 2-2-2 6-6-6 hits? Actually, it's already underway. Will
there be just as many functions dropped that people know and love and
cannot relinquish without a lot of extra rework, and what new (only
partially backwards compatible and perhaps still in their infancy)
functions will be added that cause real grief and more rework for some
portion of the community?

One thing that would help would be a roadmap. It shouldn't be
necessary to pore over change logs to get an idea what is coming.

--
 Collins
       Head teachers of the world unite: you have nothing to lose but